Villains and covers

By , 16 November 2007 7:51 pm

This is one of those Friday evenings when I am not going to cover anything momentous. I have just posted an article on Speculative Faith about villains in Christian fiction and that has drained a few of the creative juices.

Actually, it’s been a tiring week. I was back teaching on Monday morning, still full of cold, and kept going well into our open evening where we recruited for next year. I left at five to nine in the evening, after what amounted to 12 hours of solid bouncing around and trying to be enthusiastic. Anyway, thank you those who showed concern, the cold is now more or less gone.

On the book front, there have been some little bits of news. I popped over to the Lamb Among the Stars wall on Facebook and was delighted to find that it is alive and well and that there are some very interesting comments. I also perused Amazon.com to find that The Shadow and Night has managed to now accumulate 10 reviews, every single one of which is five stars. It’s just a pity that the sales rank is so low. The main news though was that I received the covers for The Infinite Day – you’ll find the picture on my website.

I have to say I like it. Those desperate to know what is about to happen will I’m afraid derive little enlightenment from it as it was deliberately chosen not to give anything away. I still do not have a publication date, but presume will get one very soon.

Have a good week.

13 Responses to “Villains and covers”

1. bdwlf says:

So glad that you are starting to feel better. I wanted to let you know that there is one more soul out here reading your blog. I also love seeing your posts on Speculative Faith. (I found that website via this blog.)

I hope to write again later, but for now I just wanted to let you know that I am out here. (And axiously awaiting The Infinite Day. Bravo on the first 2 books. I LOVED them.)
    God Bless.

3 books…theoretically

I am guessing that is the “gate of hell” can’t remember the real name, on the cover. very interesting…it will be interesting to see how assembly ships fare against those of…bah I can’t remember their names either…on the topic of villains, the orcs in LOTR were once elves too…just another thing that fits.
    Anonymous Prodigy

Very glad that you’re feeling better. Wanted to let you know that my wife and I are getting several copies of your books (Shadow and Night mostly, but one of Dark Foundations) for Christmas presents for various and sundry.

As far as sales ranks go, I happened to run into the following blog entry as linked to by Glenn Reynolds of Instapundit: http://www.jasonsanford.com/jason/2007/11/how-to-promote.html

Waiting with great anticipation for The Infinite Day, and considering trying to get the UK versions if I can through Amazon.

Hello Chris.

I was interested to see the cover for The Infinite Day. It may not give much away, but it resurfaces a question I’ve had about the final book. At the end of Dark Foundations, I had the feeling that Merral would have to travel to the end of the Blade of Night to rescue Isabella from the great serpent “who writhes in endless hate.” Please don’t tell me if that’s right or not (I don’t think you would). But I’m looking forward to finding out.

I appreciate your commitment to the blog, Chris. I understand that there are other motivations than your loyal following (we may be small, but we are mighty), but it takes commitment nonetheless.

And I echo the comment made by bdwlf regarding Speculative Faith. There are some quality people out there writing fantasy from a Christian perspective – a genre I hadn’t really explored much till recently. I’ve been impressed by the nature of much of the discussion.

Take care, Chris. Glad your bout with the cold is over.

Hi Boaz

If you can’t get the UK versions, I could send you some as I have some spare copies. I have passed on that very helpful reference to Tyndale.

bdwlf

Thanks for your concern and support. It makes writing the blog worthwhile.

Interesting speculation, needless to say I am not going to rise to the bait! There are all sorts of speculations circulating on the Facebook group.

7. dugmad says:

Well done on surviving the cold. I have battled one here in Alberta Canada ( and many I know) for around 6 weeks before it settled down.

I like the cover too. Abstract at this point, i.e. not completely sure what it is representing but very interesting. I sent the cover link to my son to have a boo at it as well.

I am going to follow boaz with Christmas gift suggestion and pick up some copies to pass around. Your work is certainly of the highest quality and should be more widely read.

I am going to check the speculative faith site it sounds very interesting. I really enjoy the discussion here and feel I will find it as interesting there.

doug

Hi Doug

I can reveal that the cover is the Blade of Night against the disk of some monstrous posioned sun.

Thanks for boosting sales!

9. smokey the dog says:

Nice artwork. I knew at a glance that it was the blade of night!

10. dugmad says:

Quick question I have been meaning to ask you about. At our local Christian bookstore your books are in the youth fiction category. Any idea why they would put you there and not along side Dekker, Peretti and Tolkien in the general fiction section?

Is this a goof up on their part? Should I bring it to their attention? I will gladly.

Thanks,

Doug

Hi Dugmad

Hmm this is real concern and I think it is a factor in lowering sales. I will address it in the next blog but in the mean time, try to get me put in mainstream adult fiction please. There’s some pretry adult themes around in the books.

Blessings

12. My Boaz's Ruth says:

I agree, although one of the people we are buying Volume 1 for is 15 years old, this is NOT youth fiction. Rather, it is a teenage boy who is able to handle mature themes. And the book does not contain any scenes that would make his mother doubt letting me around her son :)

13. Tom Terry says:

Chris:

Any chance that the third installment of the series might be released in an eBook format? It makes things easier for those of us buying from Mongolia.

Tom Terry