What didn’t happen this week

By , 6 June 2008 4:59 pm

By definition we fantasy authors are blessed with imagination. As it happens the good Lord has ensured that there is an appropriate price to pay for this blessing. (No blessing comes without its dark side). In the case of fantasy authors it is that things never totally live up to our greatest expectations.

As proof of this, let me tell you about the many things that have not happened in the week or so since The Infinite Day made it out into the big wide world.

• I have not had phone calls from Oprah in the States or her equivalent in the UK, ‘Richard and Judy’.
  • I have not been contacted by my local library asking for copies.
  • Christianity Today has not asked me whether I would mind my face appearing on the cover.
  • Barack Obama has not asked me for my endorsement.
  • Spielberg has not phoned me saying he has some spare time on his hands now he is not doing the Olympics and could he please have the film rights.
  • I have seen no mention on Amazon that they are out of stock and are waiting urgently for the reprint.
  • No literary agent has e-mailed me asking me if they can please deal with the next series of books.
  • No pre-millennial, post-dispensational, pre-tribulation preacher has threatened to burn my books.
  • The local press have not rung the doorbell.
  • The bank has not been in touch offering me a special account for high earners.

Well, it could be worse. I have had two good reviews on Amazon, some nice comments and been emailed by a student wanting to do a Role Playing Game based on the books. (Being an old Beirut hand, when I read the e-mail first, I assumed RPG meant rocket-propelled grenade and got excited that I annoyed someone so much I was going to be attacked.) Anyway it’s early days and lots of people are still ploughing their way through what is after all a long volume. And, I don’t earn my living from writing. It could be worse indeed.

Have a good week

17 Responses to “What didn’t happen this week”

1. KaBe says:

I had a good chuckle at your post today. I finished The Infinite Day in a day-long read a week ago. Was pleased with the ending and totally blown away.

Thought you’d like to hear about a few places where your books are showing up:

-Ordered all three books for the library where I work, and by the usage statistics, they are checking out
    -At the Public Library Association Conference in March in Minneapolis, MN, I talked the Tyndale rep there into giving the first book another go when he said he’d found it a slow start
    -Recommended the series to novelist Alton Gansky when he asked for reading suggestions on his blog; his response: “Sounds like my kind of book. I’ll look it up. AG”
    -Featured the series in a training session for librarians on readers’ advisory for science fiction/fantasy

Dear Kabe

What an encouragement you are! And what stamina to read it in a day!
    Bless you

3. Kendall says:

Hey Chris don’t give up hope!

i just finished ‘The Infinte Day’ (not in one day sadly) and all i can really say is “wow”.

ive read books in the past that i have put aside and thought, “that was the best book i have ever read” but when i finished ‘The Infinite Day’ i knew THAT was the best book (except the Bible) that i have ever read.

if it hadn’t been for the rituals of daily life i would have read it though in one sitting. the story was awesome, what you did with the charecters was fantastic, you had so many twists and turns my head was spinning, and the ending! Wow! what can i say about it that wouldn’t be an injustice! i loved it!

Thank you Chris for a wonderful story. the only thing im dissapointed about is that it was over so soon! God Bless Chris!

4. davec777 says:

Amazon hasn’t even shipped our copy yet. It has been delayed, so don’t be too disappointed yet. Your diehard fans may not have them in hand yet =)

5. Christian Artists Ministry says:

Hi Chris,

I have yet to read the third book, but I am extremely excited to do so. I also am very eager to hear more news of your next series. I personally have been involved with many art projects lately, so haven’t had as much time as I’d like to create more Lamb Amongst the Stars themed artwork. But if you have any ideas for something in particular, I would greatly enjoy trying to work on something for you – or for your next series of books. Anyway, if I can’t find the books here in Missouri, I’ll order it from Amazon.

I had very high expectations for this book, and waited for it for over a year, so I was really hoping I wouldn’t be let down in any way. A tall order.

Now that I’ve finished the book and am starting in on the second time through, I have to say that you’ve exceeded my expectations.

Fantastic!

Take care, and I hope the series is as much a blessing to you as it is to your readers.

Terry (who has a few general ideas about where that ‘Seventh Ship Series’ might be headed.)

7. Mark says:

I heard Hillary was ready to endorse your book, but then she lost. Sorry about that. Still, Chelsea 2016 eh?

8. KaBe says:

Chris — I planned the day off in advance for the read and finished at 2am. Want to guess who was the smiling bleary-eyed person Saturday morning? Thanks for the time and thought and work you put into your books. I’ve found myself thinking about the ending on and off ever since finishing it.

Mark — ROFL!!

9. dugmad says:

Just got the books from Amazon today!!! I will take them home and can hardly wait to get into it. My son and I will be digging in.

I also mentioned to our local Christian Book store to order the series and get it on the shelves. I will keep my eyes open to see if they do.

Thank you in advance from just seeing what others are saying about ID.

Dugmad

Add one order from Canada…
    Actually, I ordered the whole trilogy today (I’ve previously read The Power of The Night) from chapters.indigo.ca

11. Tom Terry says:

Chris:

Is there an ebook version of Infinite Day available for Sony Reader, or RTF, available for purchase?

Tom Terry
    Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

Dear Tom,

There is no ebook; at least not yet. Are you still in Mongolia? I promised you a copy if that was the only way for it to reach you. contact me at cwalley@gmail.com

13. Tom Terry says:

Chris:

Yup, I’m still in Mongolia. I’m a lifer!

However, I’m traveling to the States next week, so I’ll pick up a copy while I’m there. I’m looking forward to the read!

Tom Terry
    Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

I have yet to read it…my library hasn’t gotten their copy yet. But they are 4 requests for it…so if we can get a few more (I know some friends…) they might order another one!
    out of curiosity how are the sales?
    Anonymous Prodigy

15. GuardStar says:

I’m still waiting for The Infinite Day to show up here are Books-A-Million. We had ordered it as soon as we knew it was released. I’m certain it will be every bit the blessing and inspiration your previous books have been. My whole family is looking forward to reading it. God bless you and yours.

Richard
    Bradenton, Florida

I think it is not imaginating, but it is dreaming.

17. Benjamin says:

“I assumed RPG meant rocket-propelled grenade and got excited that I annoyed someone so much I was going to be attacked…”

LOL! I’ll start dropping into ultra-atheist sites and brow-beating them with quotes from LatS and see if your wish can be fulfilled.

Hopefully, the pipe bombs addressed to my door will be duds. If not, I’ll get to start on my Castle trees early.

Cheers,